Who are We?
Meet our service learning group! We are a group of 14 students and 2 teachers from The Winchendon School who are working to make our community a better place by raising 12 chickens on campus.
What is Service Learning?
Service learning is a student-driven teaching and learning strategy through which student engage in real world issues by researching and understanding community issues, developing partnerships with community organizations and stakeholders, designing and implementing solutions, and engaging in meaningful reflection about the process. Learn about it from our fearless service learning director, Miranda Jennings:
What is our Program?
We found that our group was inspired by the issue of nutrition- and the lack of it- in our school and the surrounding community. By raising chickens, we hope to:
- Educate our Winchendon community about healthy nutritious habits
- Teach the community about chicken care through taking care of the chickens
- Educate the community about the benefits of local, organic eggs
- Raise awareness about how food choices impact the world
- Increase access to local cage-free organic eggs for TWS community and local families in need